Tuesday 26 January 2010

50s - Venus (Frankie Avalon)

Venus

"Venus" is a song written by Ed Marshall and Peter DeAngelis. The most successful and well-known recording of it was done by Frankie Avalon and released in 1959. It became Avalon's first #1 when it topped the US Billboard chart for 5 weeks (February - March 1959).

The song was covered in the UK by Dickie Valentine who had a mild success in the singles chart in May 1959, the week before Frankie Avalon reached the Top 20 with his original version.

In 1976, Avalon released a new disco version of "Venus". The re-recording of "Venus" was Avalon's last Hot 100 hit, peaking at #46. It did, however, reach #1 on the adult contemporary chart.

Other artistes who have covered the song are Johnny Mathis (1968) and Barry Manilow (2006).

The song's lyrics detail a man's plea to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty, to send him a girl to love.

Lyrics:

Hey Venus, oh Venus
Venus if you will
Please send a little girl for me to thrill
A girl who wants my kisses and my arms
A girl with all the charms of you

Venus make her fair
A lovely girl with sunlight in her hair
And take the brightest stars up in the sky
And place them in her eyes for me

Venus, goddess of love that you are
Surely the things I ask
Can't be too great a task

Venus, if you do
I promise that I always will be true
I'll give her all the love I have to give
As long as we both shall live.

Venus, goddess of love that you are
Surely the things I ask
Can't be too great a task

Venus, if you do
I promise that I always will be true
I'll give her all the love I have to give
As long as we both shall live.

Hey Venus oh Venus Make my wish come true

No comments:

Post a Comment