Tuesday 26 January 2010

50s - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (The Platters)

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is a tune written by American composer Jerome Kern and lyricist Otto Harbach for their 1933 stage musical Roberta.

The song has been recorded by many artistes since, and possibly the most famous version was recorded in 1958 by the doo wop group The Platters, which became a number one hit on the U.S. Billboard chart for 3 weeks (January 1959) and later it top the UK chart for a week, too, in March the same year.

Among the many artistes who have recorded the song are: Nat King Cole (who first recorded it in 1946), Vic Damone (1956), saxophonist Boots Randolph (1974) and Jason Donovan (2008).

Lyrics:

They asked me how I knew
My true love was true
I of course replied
"Something here inside
Cannot be denied"

They said someday you'll find
All who love are blind
When your heart's on fire
You don't realise
Smoke gets in your eyes

So I chaffed and I gaily laughed
To think they would doubt my love
Yet today, my love has flown away
I am without my love

Now laughing friends deride
Tears I cannot hide
So I smile and say
"When a lovely flame dies,
Smoke gets in your eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment