Tuesday 19 January 2010

50s - Stupid Cupid (Connie Francis)

Stupid Cupid

"Stupid Cupid" was written by Neil Sedaka (who was only 19 when he penned this) and Howard Greenfield in 1958.

With "Carolina Moon", a cover of the 1920s Gene Austin number, "Stupid Cupid" sung by Connie Francis became a top "double-A sides" hit in UK chart for 6 weeks (September - November 1958).

Notable covers include Patsy Cline and Mandy Moore.

Lyrics:

Stupid Cupid, you're a real mean guy
I'd like to clip your wings, so you can't fly
I'm in love and it's a crying shame
And I know that you're the one to blame

Hey hey, set me free
Stupid Cupid, stop picking on me

I can't do my homework and I can't think straight
I meet him every morning at 'bout half-past eight
I'm acting like a lovesick fool
You've even got me carrying his books to school

Hey hey set me free
Stupid Cupid stop picking on me

You mixed me up for good
Right from the very start
Hey, go play Robin Hood
With somebody else's heart

You got me jumping like a crazy clown
And I don't feature what your puttin' down
Well since I kissed his loving lips of wine
The thing that bothers me is that I like it fine

Hey hey set me free
Stupid Cupid stop picking on me

No comments:

Post a Comment