Tuesday 23 February 2010

1961 - Blue Moon (The Marcels)

Blue Moon

"Blue Moon"
is a classic, written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart in 1934, and has become a standard ballad.

The first crossover recording to rock 'n' roll came from Elvis Presley, but the version that really stirred things up came from The Marcels, a doo-wop group.

The record reached #1 on the US Billboard Pop chart for 3 weeks in April 1961 and also topped the UK charts for 2 weeks one month later. The Marcels' version of "Blue Moon" sold a million copies.

The famous introduction to the song ("bomp-baba-bomp" and "dip-da-dip") was an excerpt of an original song that the group had in its act.

The song has also been recorded by manyartistes and among them are: Bob Dylan, The Marvericks, Louis Armstrong, Sam Cooke, Chris Isaak, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Vinton, The Supreme and Sha Na Na.

Lyrics:

Blue moon, you saw me standing alone,
Without a dream in my heart,
Without a love of my own.

Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for,
You heard me saying a prayer for,
Someone I really could care for.

And then there suddenly appeared before me,
The only one my arms will ever hold,
I heard somebody whisper please adore me,
and when I looked the moon had turned to gold.

Blue moon, now I'm no longer alone,
Without a dream in my heart,
Without a love of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment