Tuesday 8 December 2009

50s - Young Love (Sonny James / Tab Hunter)

Young Love

"Young Love"
, a popular song in early 1957, was written by Ric Cartey and Carole Joyner.

The original version was recorded by Ric Cartey With The Jiva-Tones in November, 1956 but Cartey's version never charted. The better-known versions were by Sonny James and Tab Hunter.

The recording by American country singer Sonny James peaked the US Billboard #1 chart for 8 weeks from mid-January to mid-March.

But in UK, it was fellow screen heart-throb Tab Hunter who brought the song to the #1 in the single charts from February to April for 7 weeks. Despite his success, music critics maintained that the disc was a triumph of image, personality and screen exposure over his vocal ability.

Other artistes who have had some success with this song are: The Crewcuts (1957), Lesley Gore (1966), Mary Hopkin (1969) and teen heart-throb (then) Donny Osmond who made it a transatlantic hits in 1973.

Lyrics:

They say for every boy and girl,
There's just one love in this old world,
And I, I kn-ow, I, I, I've found mine.
The heavenly touch of your embrace,
Tells me no one will take your place,
A, A, A, A, ever in my heart.

Chorus:
Young love, first love,
Filled with true devotion,
Young love, our love,
We share with deep emotion.

Just one kiss from your sweet lips,
Will tell me that your love is real,
And I, I, I can fe-el that it's true.
We will vow to one another,
There will never be another,
Lo-ve for you, or for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment