Thursday 17 December 2009

50s - That"ll Be The Day (The Crickets)

That'll Be The Day

"That'll Be the Day" is a song written by Buddy Holly and Jerry Allison. To dodge some legal contract complications, it was released under the name of The Crickets instead of the band's original name of Buddy Holly and The Crikets.

It topped the US Billboard charts briefly for 1 week in September 1957 and when released later in UK, it went up to the #1 spot and remained there for 3 weeks in November.

The song is considered a classic in the rock and roll genre. It has been covered by many artistes including Linda Ronstadt, The Beatles, Paul & Barry Ryan, etc.

Lyrics:

Well, that'll be the day,
When you say good-bye.
Ye-hess, that'll be the day,
When you make me cry-ii.
You say you're gonna leave,
You know it's a lie.
'Cause that'll be the da-ay-ay,
When I die.

Well, you gimme all your lovin',
And your t-urtle dovin'.
All your hugs and kisses,
And your money too.
We-ell-a, you know you love me, baby,
Still you tell me, "Maybe,
That someday, well, I'll be blue."

Well, when Cupid shot his dart,
He shot it at your heart.
So, if we ever part,
Then I'll leave you!
You sit and hold me,
And you tell me boldly,
That someday, well, I'll be blue.

Well, that'll be the day, whoo-oo,
That'll be the day, whoo-oo,
That'll be the day, whoo-oo,
That'll be the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment